Class Name Introduction to Carving - Spatula
Duration 4 hours
Cost $60 ($50 for members)
Class Size max 6 participants
During the workshop, participants will carve a wooden spatula using raw wood material in its organic form (aka a log or branch). During this process, each participant will learn the following:
- Use an ax and carving knife to turn a log, or branch, into a functional utensil
- Split and chop a piece of wood into a rough spatula shape using the ax
- Use a straight and hook knife to carve the rough spatula shape into their final and more detailed form
- Use an ax, knife, handsaw, and hook knife grips and techniques
- Learn about greenwood properties and grain orientation as well as finishes and care
Once the workshop is completed, each participant will have created their own unique spatula to take home.
Please note, the processes taught in this workshop are physically demanding as you will be using an ax to cut into a piece of natural wood.
For class safety, participants are asked to wear closed-toe shoes, long hair pulled back, and no loose or flowing clothing. Eye protection will be provided during class, but feel free to use your own if you prefer.