Repair Cafe Video Series:
- Episode 1 - Anki Cozmo Robot Repair
- Episode 2 - Lamp Repair
- Episode 3 - Table Repair
- Episode 4 - Suitcase Repair
We are kicking off the national Week of Making with our latest program in response to changes due to COVID-19: Repair Cafe. As re-opening and getting back to "normal" will be a gradual process, we wanted a way to engage with our community in lieu of our usual hands-on educational events like First Friday and Maker Faire Lynchburg. We also wanted to serve a need in our community, and Repair Cafe fits the bill for both of those items. Plus, Repair Cafe has three important benefits that all fit our mission:
- Community Service - We have hosted a few Repair Cafe events during First Friday in the past, but now more than ever the financial strain of job loss and a struggling economy can make replacing broken household goods difficult. We are here to help, free of charge! While we can't guarantee a fix (anything irreplaceable is not a good candidate for our program), we will give it our best shot and are pretty adept at fixing even unusual requests.
- Eco-Friendly - Repair (or reuse) is the second most effective eco-friendly choice when it comes to consumerism, so when you participate in our free Repair Cafe program you are making a healthy choice for our environment.
- Education - Each of our repairs will be recorded and shared online, to encourage you to pick up your own broken lamp, dusty typewriter, or other household goods in need of a fix and give them the ole DIY effort. From robots to tables, our video series will provide insight into basic repairs in electronics, wood, metal, textiles, and more.
Want to send us something broken? We have developed a quick but necessary process for accepting repairs to ensure 1) that they are realistic objects for repair and 2) that we are not overrun with more repairs than we can handle. Just fill out our Repair Request Form and we will get back to you with a drop off time, if we are able to accommodate your repair.
Finally, we are grateful to The Greater Lynchburg Community Foundation for supporting our community outreach initiatives, including Repair Cafe. If you would like to contribute to this effort, you may do so on our Nation of Makers page.