Lathe maintenance and specifications
Shop Area: Woodshop
Requires in-person training: Yes
MT 110-07, Rev. 1
Woodshop has 3 Lathes
Grizzly Model G0462 Wood Lathe is designed to turn wood stock so the operator can remove material with a hand-held cutting tool or chisel.
- Grizzly Manual: https://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0462_m.pdf
- NOVA DVR Saturn Manual: https://www.teknatool.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/NOVA-DVR-Saturn-Lathe-Manual-FINAL-Version-115-0917-011-02.12.2020.pdf
Replacing V-Belt: The pulley system allows the lathe to operate at variable speeds and keeps the V-belt properly tensioned. If the V-belt shows signs of cracking, splitting, or any other damage, replace it to ensure optimum power transmission.
1. DISCONNECT LATHE FROM POWER! 2. Remove the V-belt safety cover from the back of the lathe. 3. Pull the motor pulley plates apart so that the V-belt slips down to the motor arbor, as shown in Figure 51. This will decrease the V-belt tension. 4. While keeping the tension off the V-belt, roll it off the spindle pulley and remove it. 5. Install the new V-belt by reversing Steps 3–4. 6. Re-install the V-belt safety cover before connecting the lathe to power.
Aligning the centers: 1. DISCONNECT LATHE FROM POWER! 2. Remove the tool rest from the bed. 3. Install the centers, then slide the tailstock up to the head so that the centers are facing each other, as illustrated in Figure 50. 4. Loosen the head lock lever, adjust the head position so that center tips touch, then retighten the lock lever to hold the head in place.
Note: If the spur center is lower than the live center, use shims under the head. If the live center is lower, use shims under the tailstock.
List of Specifications
- Motor: 2 HP, 110V, single-phase, 14A
- Swing over bed: 16"
- Swing over tool rest: 13-1/2"
- Distance between centers: 46"
- Spindle taper: MT#2
- Spindle thread size: 1" x 8 TPI RH
- Tailstock taper: MT#2
- Spindle speeds: variable, 600 - 2400 RPM
- Headstock rotation: 0°, 60°, 90°, 120°, and 180°
- Tool rest width: 11-7/8"
- Tool rest post diameter: 22mm
- Overall dimensions: 72-1/2" W x 19" D x 48"H
- Approximate shipping weight: 354 lbs.
- Digital readout for spindle RPM
- 0°, 60°, 90°, 120°, and 180° headstock rotation
- Outboard turning is easy with the included tool rest extension
- Quick lock/release levers for tailstock and headstock
- Heavy-duty, precision-ground cast-iron bed and legs ensures stability and minimize vibration
- Includes 6" faceplate, cup live center and spur center
NOVA DVR Saturn
- Bowl Turning Capacity: 406mm/16″ onboard, 737mm/29″ outboard (Using optional outrigger accessory)
- Between Centers: Standard 610mm/24″(Extendable to as long as you want in 508mm/20″ increments, using optional bed extension accessory)
- Power Output: 1.75 HP (115V) / 2 HP (220 V)
- Speed Range: 100 – 5,000RPM
- Spindle Thread: 1-1/4″ x 8TPI RH (USA, Canada, Australasia & UK)
- Tailstock Thread: M33 x 3.5 RH (Europe excluding the UK) Tailstock 2MT Hollow
- 360° Swivel and lock at any position, plus locating positions at 0, 22, 4 and 90°
- Total Weight: 313 lbs/141kgs
- Lathe and Motor: 202 lbs/91.6kgs
- Stand: 111 lbs/50.3lbs
- Dimensions: 43 x 1 1 x 19 inches
END OF PROCEDURE