Class Name Introduction to Green Wood Carving: Carve a spoon
Duration 4 hours
Cost $55 ($45 for members)
Class Size max 6 participants
During the workshop, participants will be expected to use the raw material in its organic form before transforming it into their own work of a spoon. To do this each participate will do/learn the following:
- use an axe and carving knife to turn a log, or branch in to a functional spoon.
- learn how to split and chop a piece of wood into a rough spoon shape using the axe only.
- then transition to using a straight and hook knife to carve out their final and more detailed form.
- Learn to use an axe, knife, handsaw, and hook knife grips and techniques.
- Learn the greenwood properties and grain orientation as well as finishes and care.
Once the workshop is completed, each participant will have created their own personal eating spoon, spatula, server, or spreader to take home.
Please note,some participates may find some processes taught in this workshop physically demanding as you will be using an axe to cut into a piece of natural wood.
COVID-19 and Class Safety Policies
For COVID-19 safety requirements during all classes, we ask that participants and instructors, as well as members working in the space, wear a mask over their nose and mouth at all times indoors and maintain a safe distance of 6ft from each other at all times while at Vector Space.
For class safety, participants are asked to wear closed toe shoes, long hair pulled back, and no loose or flowing clothing. Eye protection will be provided during class.